So, your teen is hitting the road – an exciting milestone! As they embark on this journey of independence, it's crucial to equip them with the knowledge of basic car maintenance. Here's what your teen driver needs to know:
1. Regular Oil Changes: Explain the importance of regular oil changes. It's like giving their car a healthy drink. The engine needs clean oil to run smoothly, and neglecting this can lead to engine damage.
2. Tire Basics: Teach them how to check tire pressure and why it matters. Properly inflated tires ensure safe driving and better fuel efficiency. Also, show them how to inspect tires for signs of wear and tear.
3. Fluid Check-Up: Familiarize your teen with essential fluids like coolant, brake fluid, and windshield washer fluid. Regularly checking and topping off these fluids keeps the car running smoothly.
4. Battery Basics: Explain the significance of the car battery. Teach them how to jump-start a car, check the battery terminals for corrosion, and recognize signs of a weakening battery.
5. Lights and Signals: Make sure they know how to check and replace burnt-out bulbs in headlights, brake lights, and turn signals. Clear visibility is crucial for their safety on the road.
6. Emergency Kit Awareness: Stress the importance of having an emergency kit in the car. Include items like a first aid kit, jumper cables, flashlight, and basic tools. Preparedness is key.
7. The Importance of Alignment: Share the significance of proper wheel alignment. Explain how hitting potholes or curbs can throw off the alignment, affecting the car's handling and tire wear.
8. Brakes Matter: Teach them how to recognize signs of brake issues, like squeaking or grinding sounds. Understanding the brake system's basics is crucial for their safety.
9. Scheduled Maintenance: Emphasize the importance of following the car's maintenance schedule. Regular check-ups and service appointments prevent bigger problems down the road.
10. Defensive Driving: Beyond the nuts and bolts, instill the value of defensive driving. Encourage them to stay focused, avoid distractions, and be aware of their surroundings at all times.
By empowering your teen with these fundamental car care insights, you're not only ensuring their safety on the road but also fostering a sense of responsibility. Happy and safe driving!
Book an appointment with us here to get your vehicle checked out with Frank's Servicenter at 645 Knowles Ave, Southampton, PA 18966 or call us at (215) 355-8877 !
Click here to book an appointment online!
Appointments - Frank's Servicenter Inc. (franksservicenter.com)
Follow Frank’s Servicenter on Facebook, Instagram and Youtube!